Monday, January 23, 2006

Singing in an August sky.

I don't know about you, but it's been kind of a slow week for me. I still have yet to hear back from the chief of staff I interviewed with in Jan Schakowsky's office, even though I followed-up two different times. Hmmm.

One thing I have been up to is catching up on whatever 2005 releases I missed out on. I swear, I've probably spent over a hundred bucks on CDs and DVDs in just the last week, but it was worth it. One of the discoveries I'm most happy with is a London-based band called The Clientele. Funny thing is, I've been listening to one of their songs for about three years now, but only this past week found out they wrote it!

Let's go back to around Christmas 2002. Zach and I are hanging out, and as a gift, gives me a "best of" mix of Belle & Sebastian, my first real taste of the band's music (and the start of a rather unhealthy obsession.) Anywho, one of the songs near the end of the mix, a short minute-long dreamy pop song that's really more like a sample than a whole song, really caught my attention. I could tell it wasn't really by Belle & Sebastian, as it had this whole feel to it that just wasn't them, and when I asked Zach about it, he didn't think it was them either (even though the mp3 was labeled as such.) Any research I did on it completely fell through, and so I forgot about it... until about a week ago. I pulled out the old mix, blew the dust off of it, and played the song once more. Thanks to a little effort and the wonders of Google, I finally found out that the song is called "An Hour Before the Light" by The Clientele. Check out the their media site at Merge Records to stream it -- it's fucking fantastic!

Also, while you're there, be sure to stream "Since K Got Over Me", the first single off of Strange Geometry. It's in the running for my top songs of 2005.

Speaking of which, expect my top whatevers of 2005 sometime this week. I'll supply links to mp3s and whatnot as best as I can. Now, time to go climb into bed and watch some FLCL ('cause I'm a dork.)