Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Me thinks it's the latter.

I don't know if you've had a chance to take a peek at the Oscar noms for this year, but here's the list for Best Picture:

Brokeback Mountain
Capote
Crash
Good Night and Good Luck
Munich


While reading these earlier, it came to me that I haven't seen a single one of these films. This either means one of two things: 1) the Academy is starting to pick films that don't always bring in the dough or make it to the big theatres (i.e. "indie" flicks), or 2) I've been slacking off. Lord knows I've been waiting to see Capote, Good Night and Good Luck, and Munich since forever, and well... I definitely slacked when it came to seeing Brokeback. Anyone see Crash yet? Any good?

After many, many attempts at trying to pick up the first volume of Scott Pilgrim (it keeps selling out, dammit!), I just went ahead and got it off of Oni Press' site. I've been waiting to read this for a while, or at least since I first discovered it at SPX this year. I wished I picked it up then. Fun stuff.

If anyone hasn't heard yet, the Smoking Popes are reunited and on tour once again. No DC date, though. They've got a few dates while they're on the East Coast that don't have any shows scheduled yet, so maybe that will all change.

Lastly, here's an interview with Stuart Murdoch of Belle & Sebastian that I read a while ago that I thought was really well done and informative. (Found via Chromewaves.net.)

Laters!

1 Comments:

Blogger JC said...

Munich and Brokeback Mountain (the two I've seen from the list) are amazing...I think Munich is Speilberg's best in years. See them if you can Jeffro. Don't shame yourself.

8:45 AM, February 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home